How Do I Access Respondus?
- Download the Respondus installation application at https://www.respondus2.com/downloads/Respondus4Campus.exe
- Run the downloaded Respondus4Campus.exe installation application to install the application.
- You will be prompted to activate your copy of Respondus. Use the information found in the Respondus License Information (requires university login) when prompted to activate your copy of Respondus.
- After installing the main application, download the Respondus update patch at http://www.respondus2.com/downloads/Respondus4UpdateCampus.exe
- Run the downloaded Respondus4UpdateCampus.exe update patch in order to ensure that your Respondus application is fully updated.
Respondus is a tool that allows you to create and publish tests, quizzes, surveys, and assignments into your online courses/virtual classrooms.
- Manage your quizzes and exams
- Import your quizzes and exams into D2L
- Import and manipulate many publisher testbanks
Help Using Respondus
Configuring Respondus for D2L
Publishing From Respondus to D2L
Manually Exporting a Quiz from D2L to Respondus
Respondus allows the retrieval of the Quizzes from Courses (D2L) so that they can be modified in Respondus, published to another course, archived, and printed.
Download Questions from D2L
For these instructions, it is assumed a quiz is being exported. However, Surveys, Question Library sections and Self Assessments may also be exported in the same way.
- Login to Courses (D2L).
- Open the course from which you wish to retrieve the quiz.
- In your navigation bar, click the Course Tools link.
- Click the Import / Export / Copy Components tool link.
- Click the Export Components option, then click the Start button.Note: if the questions to be exported have images, check “Include course files in the export package“.
- Click the checkbox next to Quizzes (or the appropriate tool). Either choose the option to export all quizzes (proceed to step 8), –or- click “Select individual items to export” (proceed to step 7).
- OPTIONAL: Select the individual quiz, survey, etc., to export.
- Click the Continue button, and then confirm the export settings are correct. If so, click the Continue button.
- On the Export Summary page, wait for the “Export of components was successful” message. Then click the Finish button.
- A link will be provided to download the export. Click “Click here to download the export Zip package“.
- You may be prompted on what to do with the download. Save the file. Do not open the file.
- If you are asked where to save the file to, choose as appropriate. The exact location is not important.
- If you are not prompted, the browser is probably automatically downloading the extract to your Downloads folder.
- Click the Done button to finish.
Unpack the Export
Find the zipped file that was downloaded. This is typically the Downloads folder on your computer, Unzip the file. Note that the file will contain an “imsmanifest” file that can be ignored. The other XML file(s) is the quiz from D2L. This is the file that you will import to Respondus.If images were included in the questions, they will also be included in the resulting folder.
Import into Respondus via Open File
- Open Respondus.
- On the Start tab, ensure that the Current Personality dropdown menu is set to Desire2Learn.
- From the Start tab, click the Open button.
- Click the Browse button.
- Change the file type to “IMS QTI Questions“.
- Browse to the location of the file saved from D2L.
- Double-click the file or
- Click the file, and click the Open button.
- Choose a name for the new Respondus file that is created from the quiz.
- You should now see a Respondus file with the name you chose in step 6. Click on that new Respondus file and click the Open button.
The questions from D2L can now be edited, printed, etc.
- Images that were embedded in questions will be downloaded, but links will be broken. They will need to be re-associated.
- Equations that were originally imported from Respondus to D2L will return to Respondus as images.